If you cut mould off food is it safe to then eat it?

Photo Credit: ABC NEWS

Just imagine, you go to make a sandwich, and you start to prepare it, and you find the cheese has some blue and white bloom and the bread is covered in some fluffy white spots. You might think you can rescue the food idea by cutting off the mold or wonder whether you need to throw the whole thing in the garbage bin. Before you simply cut off the spores that are beginning to grow on your food, you'll want to know the potential health risk versus your desire to avoid wasting food. If the cheese is a hard cheese, it is probably safe to just to cut the mold bit off. With bread that is moldy though you are probably better off to throw it away. To assess the risk. It is not just an awful taste that you are risking if you eat moldy food. Actively growing mold can release toxins into your recipes and food. Since the spread of the tiny mold tips is not always visible, it might be hard to know where it the mold and hence the toxin is. You'll want to know how to remove mold properly or when just to throw it away. You'll want to take a look at the site for the full list. The following are just some of the mold tips and how to remove mold from food on the site.

The low moisture content and the dense structure of hard cheese means that the mold will usually survive only on the surface of the cheese, rather than spread the mold invisibly into the cheese. So the cheese should be safe to cut around and how to remove mold properly and eat the rest of block. But many other foods and recipes, including moldy bread, are better to throw away as the mold is more likely to be growing beyond the areas that you can see. Also, if a food such as a yogurt is old enough to have mold, it might also contain some harmful bacteria which could cause you to feel ill. If you can see a mold growing, there can be other microbes such as bacteria and some yeast in the food as well. It is not really worth making yourself sick. Low-acid foods to include dairy products such as yogurt, dips, cottage cheese, are the foods where this risk is greatest.

One area of some debate is whether or not fruit jams and jellies can be rescued if they have developed some mold on their surface. Many people scoop off the affected jam, but because of its wobbly consistency, you might risk dislodging air-borne spores that all molds produce, which can float around, settle and then start a fresh crop of mold. The US Food Safety and Inspection Service say that molds on jam could be producing some toxins and the jam should be discarded. Molds can grow in the refrigerator and will even survive freezing. Molds can also survive in sugary, salty, and acidic environments. As mold on your food is so hard to avoid, there are some general guidelines from the US Food Safety and Inspection Service on responding to the mold problem. You should discard all of these foods if moldy. Luncheon meat, hot dogs, and bacon. Yogurt, soft cheese and sour cream. Soft fruits and soft vegetables. Bread and baked goods. Peanut butter, legumes and nuts. Jams and jellies.

You will find these ways on how to remove mold at the ABC NEWS site. On the site, you will find recipes, news, trending news, trending videos, DIY ideas and more. **

Learn MORE / Get RECIPE at ABC NEWS


To help with slow website load, we have put all photos for this article here: View photo gallery.


Privacy Policy